Monday, June 23, 2008

Bi-coastal Disorder

I hadn't realized it had been so long since my last post. I've had things I could post about. For one, Darling Wife and I celebrated our third anniversary last week, and we spent a great deal of time reminiscing about our life together. We have certainly had some great times. Lots of stuff to think about there. And my father and stepmother visited us for the first time ever. In fact, I think it may have been the most time I've spent with my father in my life. Yeah, there was some bloggable material in there. But I just haven't felt like it. For the first time in years, I am really, really enjoying just being home, curled up on the sofa with a good book in my hand, puppies at my feet, and DW at my side. There is very little lure to a computerized escape.

But life is not all wonderful. If you've been following the news, you know that California is once again on fire. There is a sizable blaze in Napa Valley, pretty close to where we live. We aren't threatened by the conflagration, but the delta breeze that we usually value so much in the summer for it's cooling freshness is wafting smoke and fumes into our charming university town. The air is hazy and difficult to breathe. I am reminded again of how much I dislike it here.

And escape, blessed escape is on the horizon. My nephew has thrown us a lifeline in the form of a graduation invitation from upstate New York. Blessed child! We will be departing this inferno via a red-eye flight from San Francisco Thursday night and traversing the breadth of our nation for a few wondrous days on the opposite coast. In fact, we will be flying into our nuptial city, that fabulous old Puritan town, and driving the entire width of the great state of Massachusetts. Glory be! And though thunderstorms are predicted to dampen the affair, I think DW and I will welcome the mercy drops. I can almost feel my skin soaking up the heavenly moisture even now, and my nostrils inflate, drinking in the sweetly remembered scent of rain-soaked Berkshire forests.

It is a good thing we aren't taking the dogs or we might not return to this accursed land of flame and ash at the end of the earth. Does anyone know if you can Fed-Ex live animals?

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Yeah, just make sure you ask FedEx to poke holes in the boxes.

Safe travels... and happy anniversary!