I'll miss...
-The jasmine
I wrote about this last year, but it never ceases to blow me away. If you've never had the experience of breathing in the intoxicating aroma of this plant's small, white blossoms, I haven't the words to describe the pleasure. If you have, imagine what it must be like to be enveloped in that scent, that heady fragrance that surely must come from Olympus itself; for, I know the greedy gods would have kept something this good for themselves.
Here in the central valley, there are two types of jasmine in abundance. The first grows incredibly fast with thin, clinging vines that climb swiftly and cover fences, lattice, shutters, etc. with lacy leaves from spring to fall. It has pink buds that open to creamy white blooms from late February to late April.
The other type of jasmine has thicker vines. It's almost shrub like with dark, glossy leaves that are ever-green. Its blue-white blossoms open in late April and last through the month of May. It can be found in almost every parking lot, highway median, and home landscaping, and when it blooms... it perfumes the entire town.
Combine that with the citrus blossoms that are also in full array right now, and basically, we have about two-to-three months of heavenly breezes.
Then the dairy reclaims its position as our number one aerator. But we won't go there. Stay with the jasmine...
Friday, May 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment