Friday, May 16, 2008

Little Suprises

I haven't felt much like blogging lately. Not that I've been in a bad mood. Sure, the extreme heat, horribly dry winds, and forest fires we've been experiencing have somewhat squelched the high I was feeling a few weeks ago, but I'm in a pretty good mood all the same. It's just that now that I am finished with my classes until fall, I have more free time, and I haven't been inclined to spend it sitting at the computer. You know how it is.

But I had to share this one really cool thing that we just discovered. Darling Wife had the dogs out in the backyard for their... er... comfort, and she called through the window to ask if I had ever seen a hummingbird's nest. I remarked, "Only in pictures." She then asked me what they were made out of, etc., and explained that she thought we had one in the tree in our back yard.

I went out to investigate, and sure enough there it was. Here are a few snapshots for your entertainment. Cool, eh?













If you look closely at the last one, you can sort of see that they are made out of moss, and... get this... spider webs. That's why it's white. And that's probably why it nested here. Plenty of webs for its use... that and the feeder by the back fence.

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Very cool! I've seen plenty of hummingbirds, but never a nest.