A large white van parked boldly on the walk that leads to my building this morning. It belongs to the elevator repair man, I think... or perhaps some other member of university facility services. I know this because it says "Facility Services" on the side. In that position, the van makes it impossible for me to ride my bike up the walk to the bike racks by the door of the building. To reach them, I had to go around the van by riding into the grass, which I prefer not to do because the grass is wet, my bike is not designed for off-roading, and riding across the grass damages it. This is about the third or fourth time this has happened within the last two week.
Of course, I became annoyed. I immediately thought, "Why can't that a--hole park on the side? Can't he walk the extra TWENTY yards to the door? It's not like it's far. Would it kill him? He's making it harder for everyone!"
Then it occurred to me, "Why can't I park on the side?" Technically this is not the front entrance to the building. It's a side entrance, one of several. So it's not like the repair guy is inconveniencing EVERYONE. And even if he were, let's admit the truth, I am not mad because he is making things difficult for others; I'm mad because he's making it difficult for ME. Besides, the walk is, by definition, for pedestrians, not bikes, despite the presence of bike racks by the door. So I shouldn't even be on them anyway. And there are, in fact, bike racks on the other side of the walk, a mere twenty yards away from the door. Who am I to demand that I have curbside access while someone else has to walk farther? I'm not handicapped, nor am I privileged in any way that I know of. I'm a lowly part-time admin assistant, after all. And when I think about it, I realize the repairman likely has a tool kit or some such thing to tote into the building, and he probably needs to return to his van from time to time for supplies and equipment; whereas, I only have a light messenger bag to take in and out with me once each way.
It often amazes me just how entitled I think I am... without even thinking about it. No... that's not true. I'm not amazed. I'm embarrassed.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment